Ageless Style: Fabulous 50’s and Above!
“Live long enough and you will have seen it all and worn most of it”
Are you in your 40’s, 50’s or above? Do you look at today’s fashion and think, “the stuff they make today is only for the young?” I know I certainly have. The flip side of that is, I feel young! Okay how about I feel young at heart, my body however knows better!
In a culture obsessed with quick impressions and youth, you can use your own personal style to communicate to the world that you are fierce and 50! Yes, I am well over 50 and still obsessed with style! Notice I said style, because “fashion fades and style is eternal” right. One big dilemma I know I have faced was once I started approaching my late 40’s I was uncertain as to what to wear without looking like what I call “Old Ms Young”! In my mind I wanted to rock the trendy styles, … you know, the cropped blouses, short skirts and stilettos to name a few, but felt I little uncomfortable in them. Now, some of you may be thinking. “I want to look younger and don’t see a problem with dressing like my daughter.” By all means, if you feel comfortable in doing so, don’t mind me, I say go for it! My point is, at some point in your life some styles are just not meant for a “seasoned” lady. Not every one is a superstar that needs to keep up with stage presence such as a Madonna! The average Jane Doe would look and feel a little foolish! You can express a youthful attitude without adorning yourself in any any of these defining trendy looks. Besides by the time we reach a certain age we’ve probably seen and worn many of today’s trends.
Fashion is circular and is resurfaced time and again. The great thing is, many designers are having fun with fabrics, silhouettes and color, which provides the true novelty in a season. Allowing the ageless woman to feel plugged into the now and connecting us to our younger selves, allowing us to continue to have fun with fashion at any age! The difference is however, we are more interested in “styles” that will withstand the test of time as opposed to five-minute fads and fast fashion. The Ageless Woman is not concerned so much about the “it” look, she’s only interested in “Her” look! Women with ageless personal style will always remain true to themselves, choosing the right shapes, lengths, best colors, and maintaining a combination of investment pieces mixed with less expensive. Always having an interest in what’s new but keeping the trendy at a minimum.
Tips on Dressing With Ageless Style
- Avoid following trends. Know what to camouflage and what to accentuate.
- Comfort is a must for seasoned fashionistas! Avoid tight clothing meant for 20-year-old girls. While some fitted dresses can be very flattering, they may not look very elegant for someone over 50. Fitted skirts that are tailored to fall slightly above the knee or below and fit well on the waist. Simply choose clothing that enhances. Look for better fabrics and cuts to achieve elegance and a perfect fit.
- Cross your heart dresses that fall beautifully at knee-length are sexy and stylish. Look closely at subtle and defining details: stitching, pleating, draping, piping, etc. that enhances your shape and silhouette. What you wear must check out from every angle.
- Avoid very low cuts, short or plunging necklines. They tend to look a little too much on woman over 50. Fashion doesn’t mean you have to flash your skin all the time. Choose your clothing wisely. If your legs are showing little signs of aging choose little longer skirts if possible. Opt for styles that covers what you prefer to hide. Choose bolder, bigger accessories than using many jewelry items. A one bold, strong jewelry is more chic and age appropriate.
- Color blocking is a great way to rock colors that you may love, but don’t seem to love you. Try accessorizing with a scarf to break up an unflattering color next to your face.
- There are other easy ways to get the look. Even a slight nod to trendy will make you look current.
Let’s face it ladies, as we age, what use to be toned body parts begin to take its own direction. Even if you haven’t gained a once since your 30’s clothes just don’t fit the same. Fifty may be the new 40, but it doesn’t give you the green light to dress like your daughter. Besides, dressing younger does not make you look younger. But that doesn’t mean they can’t look good and have fun with their wardrobe. Fifty should not mean frumpy; it’s about comfort and elegance. And for those still wearing the same outfits they wore 20 years ago, it’s definitely time for a wardrobe update.
A few classic pieces to include in your wardrobe:
- A great Trench Coat
- Stylish leather jacket
- Crisp white shirt
- Pants/Slacks with some stretch in black, navy, gray and/or khaki
- Shoes: a comfortable but stylish flat for work, a sexy low-heel or sling-back in black, a casual shoe for fun and an evening shoe. If you are still able to rock a stiletto by all means go for it, but keep it under 4/5 inches
- A flattering knee-length fitted Pencil skirt